Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Winner! Winner! Chicken Dinner!

Well, it's true, I have somehow played my way to the winners circle again.

Two days ago I played in my second Legends Tour event this year at the Wendy's Charity Championship in Jackson Michigan, and found my self in a play off after both Nancy Scranton and I shot 5 unders 67.

I was thrilled with my pairing as I was matched up with Hall of Fame Members Pat Bradley and Joanne Carner. Although I played solid on the first few holes it wasn't till the 9th where I finally made a birdie. Three more on the back nine put me in good shape to test the old nerves.

Coming down the stretch, I knew that Nancy playing just behind me in the last group was 5 under with 1 hole to go. I sat at 4 under with a 17 foot putt for birdie on the 18th Green to tie and a chance at a playoff. All those old competitive nerves started to kick in to place as I stalked this final put.


I knew the line of the putt but wasn't committed to the speed as a backed away to take one final look. Good for me, because as I stepped away and looked from the front of the green, the slope became a little more clear and gave me the confidence to trust my line and speed. The ball left my putter a bit low but with just enough speed and I pumped my fist as it slipped in the hole.

It was funny later as I spoke with my partner Carrie about the putt and she mentioned how good it was to see me pump my fist again. It did feel good, it felt great, and I realized it had been over a year since I had done so.

Off we went to #18 again but lucky for me the playoff was over fast as Nancy succumbed to a bogey on the first play off hole.

I, one of only 23 players invited to the inaugural event was also the winner of the next days following Pro-Am to benefit the Adopt Foster Kids Program founded by Dave Thomas of Wendy's. Both wins were a total surprise since my game has taken a back seat to the business (RJGG)and my Golf Channel Commentating.

Winning was fun and you don't get enough of it when you play professional golf. I almost forgot how much fun it could be. Thanks to the Legends Tour for the reminder.

2 comments:

tee time said...

Rosie,
Congratulation on your well deserved wins.

Vickie Shirey said...

Rosie,
Glad to see you playing in the Legends Tour.
Congrats on your win and I'm sure I will see you in the winners circle again.

Vickie Shirey