Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Cheerio Factory

My Partner Carrie and I just got back from NM where we were there for a short week to catch up on a few things, but mainly to visit my mom Doris who lives at Montebello, a nursing home in the NE Heights of Albuquerque. My mom unfortanatley suffered a stroke 4 years , and granted I have 4 siblings that live in the area, and trust her care is at the very best, the only way we (mom and I) have a relationship is over the phone or if I come home to see her. Which I do as many times a year as we can.

It was during this past week's visit to see Mom that credits our title of this blog, Cheerio Factory. We had just got done with a big walk for the morning and on the way through town we got stuck in a little traffic. Now Grant it, I haven't lived in this town for over 30 years and it's unbelievable how much has changed over the years. Intel, who is the major business in the north west area has revitalized the city, but now after this car ride I realize there is more to the big A.

Carrie and I have been working really hard fixing up my house there in Rio Rancho, the house I had purchased for my mom several years ago when she decided to retire. As we sat in a little traffic on Paseo Del Norte we couldn't help noticing a distinct smell of something like Cheerio's. The first thing I said was Wow something Smells like Cheerio's. Carrie's response is yea like some kind of cereal.

Just then as the traffic light changes, I glance to the left and sure enough there is a General Mills Factory sitting right next to the freeway. I mean , there are times you drive by a cattle farm and you know what is what, but this time we were sitting there dumbfounded and thinking, humph! yea that is Cheerio's. And really it was. Wow! We had no idea it was there and Voila! There it was! We had a good laugh over that, as we actually thought we could be hallucinating the smell. Goes to show how old I am. Ha ha. I love Cheerio's

1 comment:

Andrea said...

I moved away from Albuquerque in 1979 to go to school, and only get back occasionally. Now I need a map anytime I go past I-40! There is a whole new city on that side now. Don't know if you remember me, but we used to go to Jefferson together. Do you ever plan on having an event in ABQ? It would be fun to go back to do a fun event like a golf vacation.