Tuesday, October 2, 2007

US WINS!


USA WINS!

I just got back from Halmstad, Sweden where USA picked apart Europe on the final day of singles play to win the Solheim Cup!

This marks the first time the cup will be traveling back across the pond since 1996 when we (I happened to be on that team) stormed the Singles matches and won 9 ½ points to win the retain the Cup in Wales. Now again the Americans hold on for another 2 years of gleaming pride.

Although the weather was about as bad as I have seen in any previous Solheim, the gals played great as they wrestled the wind, rain and bitter cold. I myself trudged through the same elements although on the other side of the microphone, as I called the shots on several matches over the long 3 days of play.

My favorite match was watching Christie Kerr and Nicole Castrale come back from 5 down on the back nine against Annika and Catriona Matthew to stay in the match bringing Europe to the 18 hole with a chance to half the point. Although they ended up losing that match, it was a great display of guts and determination as what looked like a sleepy USA team on the front 9, bounce back on the final 6 to give them a run for their money.

We stayed in the adorable town of Halmstad, where a short walk along the Rivers Edge brought you to the town square, full of small shops, restaurants and pubs. The opening ceremonies were staged there so that all the town folk could experience the wonder of Solheim.

This Solheim was definitely a strange one for me having played 7 times before, I felt that cold detachment as I got lost trying to park my car around the corner of my hotel. One bad turn led to another, but thank God for my new Blackberry, I was saved by the hotel clerk as she talked me back in. Where were my teammates, where was my bus and driver, point me the right direction mentality I had been accustomed to at my previous 7 Solheims.

That’s when I realized, yep I did retire and life is changing for me. I welcome the challenge.

No comments: